History

For 60 years, The Curtain Club Theatre has provided quality theatre at an affordable price to the citizens of Richmond Hill, Ontario and has been recognized as a centre for developing artistic appreciation, creativity, personal growth, and friendship.

poster

Founded in 1954 with about 25 members, we rehearsed in members’ homes, built sets in garages and stored costumes in attics while performing in local halls and schools. In 1961, we moved into a converted service garage off Yonge Street with a 97-seat auditorium. Then, in 1971, club members raised funds and hammers to create our current facility at the corner of Newkirk and Elgin Mills in Richmond Hill, which opened in 1972.

The Royal Canadian Air Farce, broadcast their first few seasons in our, then new, home in the early 1970′s.

In the 80’s, we expanded our facility to increase our workshop and lobby spaces and in 2009, we took on a $1.2 million dollar expansion and renovation to update our theatre for accessibility, washrooms, kitchen and improved heating and air conditioning systems.

The club has long been a proud supporter of the Theatre Ontario Festival having most recently participated over the past decade with: The December Man (l’homme de Decembre) (Sault St. Marie 2012); Proof (Sarnia, 2006); Marvin’s Room (Belleville, 2005- awarded Outstanding Festival Production); Staff Room (Sault Ste. Marie, 2004 -awarded Outstanding Festival Production); Filthy Rich (Oshawa, 2003). We have also hosted the Festival twice: The first time in 1999 using the Newmarket Theatre and most recently in 2011 using the new Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts.

As we enter our historic 60th Season we pay tribute to the many people, who, for the past 60 years have volunteered their time and energy making The Curtain Club one of the best community theatres in Canada.

Playbills 1954 – today

Click here to view our productions over the years.